Endurance robots teaches and explains how to make a nice, practical and fully 3D printed robot for education in classrooms to teach Computer Science, Science, Technology Engineering, and Mathematics (CS-STEM). We want to inspire more and more high school and college students to do DIY robotics things that is why we share our knowledge and experience.
To operate a DIY SelfieBot you will need:
- Constant current source (12V)
- A smartphone/tablet with Android version 4.2.2 and higher, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi modules or 3G / 4G.
- Stable high bandwidth Internet connection (WiFi, 3G, 4G).
SelfieBot characteristic data:
- Angles of horizontal rotation from -90 to 135 degrees.
- Angles of vertical rotation from -30 to 90 degrees (the threshold values depend on the holder construction and the smartphone/ tablet size).
- The «demo» mode operation time (with continuous rotation and the payload weight of 150 g) is 5h.
- Allowed dimensions of the smartphone/tablet are 5 — 10 inches; recommended — 7 inches.
- The device body is fully 3D printed and can be made out of ABS or PLA
- Rotation commands transfer via Bluetooth.
SelfieBot modes of operation are selected in the Android app:
- CONNECT OVER INTERNET / CONNECT OVER BLUETOOTH. Remote rotation control via Internet.
- FACE TRACKING BOT. Centering of the person’s face who is in sight of the smartphone/tablet front camera.
- DEMO. Continuous rotation up to the threshold values of the rotation angles.
Operation, transportation, storage:
- The device is intended for use indoors and outdoors under a cover at temperatures of 0 — 55 C.
- Careful transportation due to the plastic parts.
- Storage is possible at the temperatures of -20 to +70 C.
- Connect your SelfieBot power connector to the DC power supply.
- Mount the smartphone / tablet holder on the SB until it clicks.
- Secure a smartphone / tablet in the holder until it clicks.
- Press the SB power button on the front part of the device body.
Enabling / activation of the operation mode.
- Activate the Bluetooth (required) and the Internet connection (optional) on your smartphone / tablet (depending on the preferred mode of operation);
- Activate the Droid app on your smartphone / tablet;
- Push «Connect over Bluetooth» in the Android app. When connecting for the first time, the Bluetooth PIN is requested. Enter 1234;
- When «Holder is connected» message will appear in the top left corner run a selected messenger (Skype, Viber, WhatsApp) on the smartphone / tablet.
- When connecting a remote Android device to the SelfieBot, run on your Android device the Droid app and press the button «Connect over Internet»; four translucent arrow buttons to control robot rotation will appear on the touch screen. For video connection start a selected messenger on your Android device and make a video call to the account running on the SelfieBot smartphone / tablet;
- If you intend to control the SB using a Windows device, it is enough to go to http://mikeravx.gear.host/SelfieBotWeb/, enter the device ID (987654321) and click «Connect «; then you can control the robot rotation with the buttons below.